Spending Cash

One cardinal rule that I try and maintain is to spend all of my cash when I can. The reasoning here is very simple: when you hold cash, you get zero return on it. If you buy a pet, then you'll get about four percent when the pet is purchased from you.

Make no money, or make some money. Easy choice.

Choosing which pet to buy is a subject for many more blog posts, but in general I will buy the most expensive pet possible. Then if I still have a little bit of cash, then I'll find an inexpensive pet to use up the remainder of my cash (the cheapest pet is just $571 to purchase).

Just now, I had $23,995 and bought a $23,994 pet. Yup. I'm sitting on a single dollar now. Andrew has actually managed to spend all of his cash once.

5 comments:

Chromis Elda said...

the only reason that I don't spend all my money at once is because I have pets that I want to keep, and therefore if they get bought off me, I can buy them back.

Some pets get bought very quickly off me (few times a day) and if I wasn't holding that extra money I wouldn't have been able to buy them back each time..

And spending all your money on 1 expensive pet rather than 5 inexpensive ones = faster profit when they sell... so thats how I made my decision =)

http://apps.facebook.com/friendsforsale/users/show/27542873

Drop by and say hi, your posts are quite fun to read.

peter said...

I first read this post when I was new to the game, and I thought it would be easy to spend ALL my money.
Now several weeks later when I actually spent all my money except one dollar, I am so proud to have come this close.

Greg said...

Nice!

Yeah, it is quite difficult to spend down to single digits. I've only been able to spend down to $1 that single time.

Mager still wins with his zero balance :-)

Electro Life said...

Having lots of money may have a passive advantage: When you have a nice stack of cash in your pocket, people may buy you or your pets, hoping that you'll buy them or their pets in return.

In fact, psychologically speaking, having lots of money makes you and your pets more attractive.

Clever Idea Widgetry said...

New to the game, my intuition tells me that Tom is partially correct. Not only do I find buying pets from owners that have on-hand cash, if they are active, I see as close to a guaranteed fast return.