I Was Nice

I posted a while ago about how I was mean to a couple, buying them from each other. This post is about how I was nice. Once.

It was pretty early in my FFS playing career, and I was locked into a buying war over a pet with some guy. I had more cash than he did, so I knew that I would end up with the pet. But... he had started with the pet and was insistent on keeping it. So it seemed to me at the time.

Looking at his cash, I realized that I could buy her one more time, and he would have just enough to buy her back. Being the nice guy I am, I wrote on his wall, "I'll buy her one more time, then you can keep her." I went ahead and bought her, and noted that he had replied on my wall, "she's all yours. have fun!"

Gah. I was left holding the pet. My cash was tied up, and the other guy walked away with all the profits from our little buying war.

Moral of the story? Don't announce your intentions. Don't play too nicely.

10 comments:

Andrew Mager said...

Hah! He got ya :)

Maybe she was too expensive, or he was trying to play a nice little joke on you.

Felipe Ignacio Esteban said...

Nice story, next time I'll think twice before buying someone expensive.

Gracias por los datos :)

charlaz said...

be carefull with couple!
one day i was buying guy and his girl and getting money BUT, they became angry and changed their profil to "private" then they bought me and put me "on sale" until my value decrease to 500...
and i couldn't buy them back (because they are "private" now)

Bivan said...

HaHa You just have to either not care if you get stuck with them before you start. Or enjoy living life on the edge! I know I do I actually enjoy spending down till I have nothing gambling on whether they are going to buy them back one last time. :)

m1c4a1 said...

I think it's important not to buy a pet, if you won't have money for rebuying him back. Pets owner will notice it and he won't buy the pet back.

Onadneva said...

that happens! lol

Matty said...

Getting yourself devalued by an annoyed owner is one of the best things that can happen to you in the game - it will make you richer, make them poorer, and generally make life more fun for you.

Matty said...

I think this is a very broad lesson about the game, or games in general even.

That is, in any situation, don't tell people what you know or what you're going to do.

Anonymous said...

I'm stuck with some guy now because I was nice.

Rick Stein said...

I have been "stuck" before, too, and then figured out that it pays to check out the "Newsfeed" on people you're thinking of buying. If they get bought and sold a lot, there is generally a "strong market" for that pet, your risk is lower, and a bidding war can enrich your coffers.

Then again, you can still get stuck!

Just like in life.

(PS-not related to Greg)